Thursday, April 22, 2010

April 2010 Middle Vaal Report

My prediction is for foul weather and flood like conditions to continue for the Vaal. Seems the last few months every time I predicted conditions to change for the better, the reverse happened! We are now yet again seeing reasonable flow levels around Goose Bay Canyon (Schoemansdrift data unavailable). I say reasonable as I’ve heard of people fishing 60 cumecs. To me that is still too high and I’m waiting for the clarity to improve.

The signs of autumn are all round and with it come changes in tactics and approach. The good news is until the spring-summer transition we don’t have to get up as early as we used to. Fish will start to move out of the rapids into the deeper glides and heads of the pools. They will hold here, foraging in the shallower water as day time temperatures increase coinciding with movement of insects. Keep an eye out for activity and target those areas first, with various set-ups. My first choice would be:

· a dry and dropper set-up floated in those glides or flat water
· a team of soft hackle/emerger, nymph and beaded nymph floated across and down stream.
Enjoy this special time on the Vaal and lets hope things clear up before the dead of winter.

2 comments:

  1. Nice! That pretty much sums up the Vaal for now. Also looking forward to reduced flows , and some cleaner water. It has been too long since I have cast a fly in the Vaal.
    Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! That pretty much sums up the Vaal for now. Also looking forward to reduced flows , and some cleaner water. It has been too long since I have cast a fly in the Vaal.
    Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete